Saturday, July 2, 2011

Don't worry; It's only because I'm lazy

I'm really bad at this blogging business, but I PROMISE I'll get more regular. Or something.

So the last time you heard from me, I was chilling in the bowels of this last week and musing about terrible champagne and outlining my day for you. Frankly, not much has changed, but I did go on a few mild adventures between Tuesday and this morning.

Wednesday I waited in line for an hour to get on one of the weekend excursions. I will be going to Hallingdal the 23-24 July, a place I didn't go last time with my parents. Should be fun; there is a fairy tale museum and gratuitous rolling landscape. I got on the waiting list for the Bergen trip the 13-17 over the long weekend, but I did get off the waiting list as of yesterday, so I will certainly be enjoying myself. I really can't wait to go back to Bergen; I've been craving Grieg since I got here, even more than I was craving kinder eggs, and THAT'S saying something.

Thursday I got the other thing I've been craving since I got here: pølse med lomper. Basically it's a hotdog wrapped in lefse. Best thing ever. For fifteen kroner, I'd say it was a (WARNING: terrible pun ahead) doggone good deal! My friends and I also have created a new game to deal with boredom: take public transport into the city and just get off wherever we feel like. So that's what we also did Thursday. We walked around downtown Oslo and went to bokhandelen (bookstores) and H&M. I like this game. Later Thursday night I attended the Norwegian Life and Society (NLS) lecture on art and music, where we covered everything from runes to modern minimalism, and folk melodies to black metal. Yay Norway for being as artistically varied as the landscape.

Yesterday was particularly exciting. We played this game again and walked up to the palace, through the park in the back, and then up and around Karl Johan's Gate, the main street of the city where the main buildings are all on axis. Everything on this street is exorbitantly priced, but we did enjoy taking pictures and walking around.

And last night was certainly one most interesting. ISS organized a party at the Chateau Neuf, the student center with a student-run disco thing. For kicks and giggles, we all tore ourselves away from our youtube videos and made our way over there. We spent more time commuting than we spent actually there. We went down to the dance floor, where the resonant frequency of the music matched our stomach and we all decided the only joy we felt towards this music was leaving it. So we did. It was nice. That was last night.



Park behind the palace



Nice architecture on Karl Johan's Gate



Cool fountain in front of Sentrastasjon



Imperial Palace!


So yeah. I'll try to be more regular peeps. It's that I'm having way too much fun to blog!

-Cali

1 comment:

  1. Have you been up to Sognsvann yet? Worth an excursion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sognsvann

    ReplyDelete