Friday, August 12, 2011

OMG SHINY THINGS?!?! Elementary, my dear Watson.

I guess I'm just gonna always be one day behind on posting. Here is something I started last night and just finished now as if it were last night because I was too tired to finish it last night. Behold.

"HOLY CRAP I DID SO MUCH TODAY IT'S NOT EVEN COMPREHENDIBLE. Actually, it's not that staggering. I just went to the Tower of London and the Sherlock Holmes Museum. Oh, and I went to the London Eye. Let us begin this entry!

This was my first full day of doing stuff since coming to London and receiving the pleasure of a fever. So I was quite pleased with myself. After breakfast with a nice cup of tea (TEA TALLY: 17), we took the Tube to Tower Hill, where the Tower of London and other great things are.

TUBE VS. T BANE:

TUBE:
-Runs every minute
-Goes EVERYWHERE
-Always crowded
-Confusing :(

T-BANE:
-Easiest thing to use
-Goes most places
-Not very crowded
-Lines run every 15 minutes :(

So, they have their ups and downs. I still liked the T Bane because I didn't have to worry about my bag getting jacked like every ten seconds.

So from there we got to the Tower of London. We spent about... four hours there. "Tower of London" is also like the biggest misnomer on the planet. Me, being sometimes the derpiest among the derps, always pictured it as just a tower, or the ruin where only a tower remained. That's not true. It's a castle within a wall within a wall surrounded by a moat. Yup.

So the Tower of London was very cool. We took a tour around the grounds, which are HUGE. The Tower was built first in 1066 after William of Normandy. Since then they've been expanding and building on to it, all the way until the Tudors, which was like Elizabeth and Henry VIII. END OF HISTORY LESSON.

The highlight was for sure seeing the crown jewels, which they kept assuring us were the REAL crown jewels. We saw a pair of super heavy doors keeping them all in place and figured they were real.

Most of the crown jewels have to do with the coronation ceremony; an orb with a 300 gram diamond (!??!?), a crown the monarch wears for twenty minutes and weighs five pounds because it's so laden with jewels... Stuff like that. It was well worth the wait (weight? AHH A PUN!!) After a cup of tea (TEA TALLY: 18), we made our way to a place very near and dear to me.

It's not really near and dear, actually. It's just somewhere I really really really wanted to visit.

THE SHERLOCK HOLMES MUSEUM!

This museum is on the (real) address and is a fully accurate construction of the (fake) apartment of the (fake) character. Ah, but I'm such a huge Sherlock buff that this just didn't matter. The guy who created the museum is a Sherlock buff who bought the property right when it got on public auction and remodeled it all according to the book. It's a bit crazy. They also had some Tassaud wax people in there to be certain characters. I didn't like that bit as much. All the furniture inside was period as well. That guy must have been pretty devoted.

After that we headed back towards the hotel. My mom said, "I be tired, I go nap," so my dad and I waited for my cousin Ingrid and her British boyfriend to come meet us. I couldn't meet her when her family came down to Oslo for my first BEST WEEKEND EVER (which was later bested but whatever), and so it's funny that I'd see her here in a country I've never been to and that the time she's here coincides with when I'm here.

ANYWAYS, the four of us had much fun going up on the London Eye, from which we could see everything, taking the free kitschy 4D thing where I got really gross white soapy snow on me, and then ate sushi at a place where they put sushi on the conveyor belt. It was awesome. They also had tea, which I drank. Twice (TEA TALLY: 20)

Why no pictures today, you ask? It's because I'm just too darn lazy."


No comments:

Post a Comment