Sunday, June 26, 2011

When Imports Attack/ How can a Bus Tour be Exhausting?!

So these past two days can be summed up thus: essential. Boring stuff. Yesterday and this morning were primarily unpacking/ registering/ going to the ground rules meetings. I did get my internet up and running (obviously), AND I got a second roommate: Katia (not sure of the spelling) from Georgia. So far I get along well with both of my roommates, though we're all taking different classes and so I'll probably not see much of them during the day.

However, a certain highlight did come yesterday with the miniature expedition to the grocery store. Stuff in Norway is generally expensive, and imports are no exception. So though I emerged relatively unscathed from the experience with a Kinder Egg (the hipper, European version of the Wonder Ball), Solo (think Fanta, but actually tasting of orange), and some "Jordbær og Pepper" flavored water (I had assumed the pepper would be a false cognate; that was a false notion), I could not pass up the opportunity to take pictures of the prices of some imports.



Gourmet Uncle Ben's rice for 30 Kroner, or about $6



The exotic Hubba Bubba, for about $2.70.

And then, just because it was so amusing, I took a picture of this Nesquik equivalent.



Today seemed both truncated and exhausting. I didn't get up until 10:15, fifteen minutes before a dorm meeting we had to attend, because the alarm for my computer I got from the app store last night decided to have the most confusing interface ever. Looks like my phone WILL have a use now!

Though aside from losing those two hours, my day has been otherwise quite eventful. I went on a four-hour bus tour of Oslo, where I went through Holmenkollen and saw the ski jump (where I bought a Coke for 30 Kroner... ouch) and the entire city from 600 meters up, over to the Viking Ship museum on the island of Bygdøy, down the mountain to Vigeland Sculpture Park, stopped at the Opera House (which had been constructed since I was there last), and finally through Johan Kristian's Gate/ the heart of the city on the way back to campus. I took way too many pictures, so you can all see them here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1932298188612.2101110.1276980227


Turns out I tend to like taking the same pictures twice. Here are a few shots that I duplicated, even after three years.

Angry Boy

2008



2011



Reaching Kids

2008




2011



Crazed Babies

2008



2011



Obelisk

2008



2011



... Random seagulls enjoying themselves in the fountain

2008


2011



I look forward to keeping you all updated!

-Cali

3 comments:

  1. That is exactly the same first day we had in 1974 (except of course the Opera House). I have 35mm slides to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exact same tour for me too except Holmenkollen since it was under construction for the World Championships that were held this spring.

    ReplyDelete